Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The physical

I had a whirlwind trip to Washington DC over the weekend for the next step in the bone marrow donor process.  This trip was required so that I could have a physical completed, to be medically cleared for the donation. 


The registry program I am working with handled all the arrangements.  They flew me direct to DC, put me up in a fabulous hotel and provided top notch meals and transportation.  Not only that, but they treated me absolutely fabulously.  It was a treat!  They flew me out on Sunday, I had the physical Monday morning and was back home Monday night.  I didn't really have time to for sightseeing on Sunday when I got there, so I spent the time relaxing and working on a paper for my MBA program.  It was nice to have some quiet, peaceful time.


On Monday morning, the physical consisted of more blood tests, an EKG, chest x-ray and a meeting with a nurse practitioner.  While I was there, I met a few other people in the same process as me.  One guy is scheduled to have his donation the same day as mine, so I will see him again. 


Everybody involved in the program was absolutely fabulous.  It was a great experience.  All the way down to the enjoyable afternoon spent with one of the other potential donors at the airport waiting for our flights back home.


Now we wait to hear if I cleared the physical!

No comments:

Post a Comment