Friday, April 23, 2010

Which school...already?!


Yep, thats right...I am already worried about which school to send my daughter and she is only 2.5 yrs old! 

When she was 6 weeks old I put her on a wait list for a local school in a different district than the one we live in because I have always heard its "THE" school to send your kids too.  Its a public/charter school, yet it has a waitlist a mile long!  We used to have a neighbor that taught there so I had some good insight on the school philosophy ahead of time.  I wasn't signing her up just because its the cool thing to do...I swear! 

I checked her position on the waitlist a few months ago....#690.  We only have two years to go till she starts kindergarden...although she would have to wait an extra year to start there because the cut off is June 1st and her birthday is July.  Not to mention we still don't live in that district, and probably won't be able to afford a home in the area within the next 2-3 years.  Its not looking like she will end up at that school!

So I have been researching schools in our district.  I want to be prepared so I know all our options.  For some reason the school thing is really stressing me out.  I suppose its because its the beginning of her future.  I want the best for her, as most parents do, so I want to make sure I make the right decisions to get her there.  I want her to have as many opportunities as possible.  I feel like if I goof up and send her to the "wrong" school she won't get the academic challenge she needs, she won't meet the friends that will inspire her, etc.

Thankfully, we have some great options in our district.  Now I just have to figure out which path to start her out on, and see where it takes her!

I'm not sure why I am allowing myself to stress out so much about schools.  Do other parents worry this much about school for their kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment