Thursday, April 22, 2010

Positive Parenting Solutions


Positive Parenting Solutions


Just over a month ago a friend of mine that has a child the same age as my daughter shared a link with me about a free one hour parenting webinar.  I thought, what the heck might as well try it.  You see, I don't really subscribe to any one style of parenting or any one parenting book.  I enjoy reading lots of different parenting books, blogs and articles and taking what I want out of each of the methods suggested.  So far, I have found that style to work very well for me.  I took a little from about five different books to shape the way I parented my daughter as an infant, through sleeping issues, scheduling issues, etc.  Around the time she hit 18 months I searched out for more ideas on parenting an (almost) toddler.  For some reason the 18 month mark was a tough one for us.  Not sure if it was because she was seeking out more freedom and independence or because I wasn't quite ready for her to transition from a baby!  Luckily it was short lived!  Again, I read multiple books seeking advice on discipline.  I never found one that was quite right, but took a little bit from a handful of different books and applied it.  It seemed to work very well, we are constantly getting compliments on what a delight our daughter is, even at the dreaded "terrible twos" age.  

This time around I wasn't really searching for advice or guidance on a specific parenting situation, but was open to hear what this particular group's views are on dicipline.  Unfortunetly, I had to miss the webinar due to a family emergency that took me out of state for almost a week.  Over the next couple of weeks I continued to think about the webinar and decided to check and see if there would be another one coming up.  I lucked out, there was one the very next evening.  It happened to be a particularily stressful day, ending with a crazy evening.  I had been under alot of stress due to the family emergency I mentioned earlier so my husband offered to take our daughter upstairs to entertain her and do her bedtime routine by himself so I could have some time to unwind and listen in on the webinar.  I am so glad I did!  

Amy McCready is the founder of Positive Parenting Solutions.  She also hosts the free parenting webinars.  She is so easy to listen to, I think it would be pure joy to have tea and chat with her.  Instantly I was sucked in to the discussion.  In a matter of minutes I was feeling re-energized about my job of parenting.  I learned a few simple tricks that I started applying right away.  They worked right away too!  

I ended up signing up for the parenting course that evening.  I have found Amy's style of parenting to be refreshing and empowering.  I identify with nearly all of the discussions in the course that I have listened to so far, and could see myself implementing the parenting strategies as I continue through this parenting journey I am on...something I have not found in a single parenting book yet.  

There are more free webinars coming soon.  In fact, the webinar titled "Why Time Out Is A Waste Of Time" is coming up next Thursday.  I highly suggest you give it a try if you are looking for more ideas on dicipline for your kids.  Don't worry there is no pressure to sign up for the course, unless you really want too!  Read more about them here.      

I also wanted to add, I have not been compensated in any way by sharing this information.  I mearly found a program that I like, and feel others might benefit from hearing about it as well.

1 comment:

  1. Nice Blog. Positive Parenting Solutions could be very useful to us raising our 3 children.

    Kelly Brown
    http://www.betterparentingsolutions.com

    ReplyDelete