Thursday, November 11, 2010

Basic Training

In honor of Veteran's Day...

I decided to pull out my basic training photo and post it on Facebook.

Wanna see it?

 
Thats me...16 years ago!
 
Apparently it looks exactly like my daughter too. 
 
Most people commented that it looks like an age progression of her!
 
Its hard to believe that was taken 16 years ago.  In some ways it feels like a lifetime ago, yet I remember the exact moments leading up to the picture being taken as if it was yesterday!  Its burned in my head!
 
The picture is deceiving.  It appears that I was calm and relaxed.  It appears that I had all kinds of time to get ready before the snapping started.  You can see a few wispy hairs along my collar but otherwise I look pretty decent. 
 
The truth is...I was always scared out of my mind in basic.  I was constantly wondering why I was there, and if life would ever be normal again!  Heck we were so busy constantly I don't even think I had time to think!
 
The reality is, I had my BDU pants on (fatigues)...I just had the blues uniform on my top.  I think I even had a brown t-shirt on under that top!  We didn't get makeup the entire six weeks we were there...yet our TI (Training Instructor) allowed us to break in to our locked up items just once so that our pictures looked halfway decent.  We put on that makeup so fast, with him yelling the whole time!!  It was the middle of September in Texas (HOT) and we didn't have the luxury of relaxing baths and prep time!  Trust me, it sucked!
 
Even still, I am so proud I did it!  I am so proud to have honorably served my country.
 
Happy Veteran's Day to all who have served and our serving!

No comments:

Post a Comment